Thanks to ongoing partnerships between Milwaukee Public Schools and the MPS Foundation and a variety of entities five more MPS playgrounds have been greened, providing not only outdoor learning opportunities for schoolchildren, but also creating greener play spaces, and gardens, improved stormwater management and more attractive spaces within neighborhoods.
The benefits of this sort of work has been known for decades and the research continues to grow.
For years, MPS has been partnering with entities like the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, the City of Milwaukee, National Fish and Wildlife Foundation – Sustain Our Great Lakes Program, Fund for Lake Michigan, Reflo, Funders’ Network – Partners for Places Grant, the Burke Foundation and the Greater Milwaukee Foundation.
Private donations have also helped make some of these projects come alive.
The five schools to get new green space are Academy of Accelerated Learning, 3727 S. 78th St.; Allen-Field Elementary, 730 W. Lapham Blvd.; Bay View Montessori Upper Campus. 619 E. Dover St.; La Escuela Fratney, 3255 N. Fratney St.; and North Divison High School, 1011 W. Center St.
According to the MPS Foundation, “the new spaces promote outdoor learning, healthy food access, social-emotional well-being, recreational opportunities, arts and environmental sustainability through stormwater management and increased urban biodiversity.
Source : https://onmilwaukee.com/articles/green-schoolyards-2021261